The endocannabinoid system (ECS) is complicated, and studies are ongoing to find out more about how it works and how it interacts with cannabinoids from marijuana and hemp plants.
What we do know, however, is that there are many proven medical benefits of cannabis that can improve the quality of life for people suffering from various mental and physical health conditions worldwide.
Health Benefits of Cannabinoids
Cannabinoids are naturally-occurring compounds found in cannabis sativa plants. They can be extracted from marijuana or hemp plants and used in various ways, having a range of beneficial effects on the human body.
Scientists and other experts aren’t quite sure how cannabinoids like THC, CBD, CBN, and CBG all work and interact with the ECS. However, studies, reports, and anecdotal evidence have all shown clear and consistent benefits of cannabis for users.
Cannabinoids can have direct effects on a variety of bodily processes and functions. They can affect everything from stress and sleep to heart health and sensations of pain. The following is a non-exhaustive list of 20 cannabis benefits:
- Lower Stress Levels – One of the many health benefits of cannabis is its ability to reduce stress and contribute to a more positive mood and mindset.
- Lower Anxiety Levels – Along with stress, cannabinoids can also aid in treating anxiety and can help those dealing with PTSD.
- Chronic Pain Relief – Cannabinoids such as THC and CBD help to alleviate pain, improving the lives of people with chronic pain conditions.
- Treating Depression – Cannabis may also be prescribed to those dealing with symptoms of depression.
- Increasing Lung Capacity – Certain studies have shown that medical marijuana may be able to increase lung capacity.
- Reducing Inflammation – Cannabinoids can soothe inflammation around the body, ideal for those with joint pain or similar issues.
- Alleviating Nausea – Another of the many cannabis health benefits is its ability to alleviate sensations of nausea.
- Treating Epilepsy – Cannabinoids have been linked with reducing the severity and frequency of epileptic seizures.
- Treating Autism – Cannabinoids can reduce stress and anxiety levels in individuals with autism.
- Stimulating Appetite – Cannabis is able to promote an increase in appetite for those who are finding it difficult to eat.
- Treating Muscle Tightness – Patients who experience muscle tightness can experience relief when using cannabinoids.
- Killing Cancer Cells – Some studies have shown that cannabinoids can help to kill cancer cells.
- Slowing the Spread of Cancer – Cannabinoids may also be used to slow the spread of cancers and reduce the growth of tumors.
- Treating Ocular Conditions – Cannabinoids can be prescribed for eye issues like glaucoma.
- Treating Sleep Conditions – Cannabinoids may also be used to aid patients who are dealing with insomnia.
- Assisting with Weight Loss – Cannabis is able to help insulin regulation and metabolic rate in the body, aiding with weight control.
- Assisting with Diabetes Treatment – Thanks to its effects on insulin regulation, cannabis can also be prescribed for diabetes sufferers.
- Healing Broken Bones – Some studies have linked cannabinoids with faster healing processes for broken or fractured bones.
- Slowing the development of Alzheimer’s – Cannabinoids like CBD have neuroprotective properties, helping to protect the brain from Alzheimer’s and other degenerative damage.
- Treating Parkinson’s Disease – Cannabis may also be recommended to Parkinson’s sufferers to improve mobility and reduce tremors.
Cannabinoids such as THC and CBD clearly have a lot to offer, able to assist in the treatment of countless varied conditions from mental health issues like PTSD to debilitating diseases like cancer and Parkinson’s. Improving brain, heart, bone, and mental health alike, these chemical compounds can help out in endless ways, and we still have much to learn about how they work.
Medical cannabis benefits are varied and numerous. This drug can be used to help alleviate unpleasant feelings or sensations such as stress, anxiety, pain, and nausea, as well as aiding in improving the quality of life for those with chronic illnesses.
Studies are still ongoing into individual cannabinoids and how they work. So far, scientists have discovered that THC, CBD, and CBN are all particularly beneficial for the body. Other cannabinoids like CBGA, CBG, and CBC may also aid the human body in various ways.
Some cannabis oil benefits offered by cannabinoids include pain relief, stress relief, lower anxiety, reduced severity of seizures, more mobility, and so on. Cannabinoids can offer both mental and physical benefits.
Cannabinoids are natural compounds found in cannabis sativa plants like marijuana and hemp. They can interact with the human endocannabinoid system (ECS).